Since man started building homes, there have been many trends that have emerged throughout history. Certain materials were used for hundreds of years, before technology changed and ideas were spread. Natural materials were replaced with man made and composite, materials were shipped around the world, and protection from natural disasters came into play. With the advent of the internet, builders have now been given instantaneous access to millions of ideas and concepts. Modern trends have come and gone, with many making a comeback in recent years!
What do we want to see in our homes and build our homes out of in 2018?
1. Freedom with style: In the past there has been a tendency to follow ‘codes’ to achieve a certain look for the home. Homes had themes, rules and style agendas. Now, there is a lean towards ‘unique’ homes that tell a personal story. There is more wriggle room to be adventurous with design choices!
2. Indoor plants: Indoor plants are becoming increasingly popular as a form of decoration, as they are aesthetically pleasing and believed to be good for your health.
3. Fabric: Fabrics can help to set the mood decoratively in a home. Refined textual fabrics, such as wool, linen and sheen, can add a refinement to your home design.
4. The old and the new: Many people are choosing to convert old interior spaces. We’ve seen the rise of converted churches, warehouses and factories.
5. Escapism: People are creating spaces in their homes to retreat and have peace from everyday life.
6. Natural fibres: Materials from nature are making a comeback. Particularly wicker and reeds, which are used as lighting, decorations and textiles.